Thursday, December 25, 2008

And finally- The Graduate-1968


I know that I said that I was done with soundtrack week but I suddenly remembered that I'd forgotten "The Graduate". First of all, GREAT movie, and may I add that I am generally not a Mike Nichols fan but this movie is his swansong and apparently his rock and roll has put on weight since then. At Christmas, I generally like to drag out a vintage film and eat chocolate and this year, The Graduate was my Christmas film. 
I recognize that one really does have to be a Simon and Garfunkel fan to appreciate this one but really...who isn't? Best song on the LP, naturally "Mrs. Robinson" (buyer beware: Both versions on the soundtrack are shortened for the film. For the full album length see: Bookends). The composed cuts by Dave Grusin are also fun. I think the thing I like so much about this soundtrack is that it so eloquently evokes the era.  Okay, this is really it, I'm moving on. Stay tuned for my top ten LP re-issues.

No comments: