Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Neil Young- After The Gold Rush


After The Gold Rush (1970) was Neil's first solo studio album following the success of CSNY's Deja Vu and when I say "studio", I mean the one in the basement of Neil's modest Topanga Canyon home. A lot of people who know their shit put this record on their list of the top ten albums ever recorded. It definitely hovers near the top of mine but there's more than that. This is the first Neil Young Album I owned and I fell head over heals in love with Neil's voice, and then his lyrics. I still play this LP a lot, usually when I'm feel very sentimental and in need of a good emotional thrashing. After The Gold Rush is my favorite cut but I always play the whole album because every song kills: Tell Me Why, Only Love Can Break Your Heart, Till The Morning Comes, all beautiful. This record is super easy to find used because everyone owned it at one time or another. I stole mine from my dad.  Quick Note: an eighteen year-old Nils Lofgren plays piano and sings on this record. Not bad for a kid.

No comments: