Saturday, November 22, 2008

Janis Joplin- CHEAP THRILLS


Today I'd like to talk for a moment about Janis Joplin. I put her in a special category I call "Brilliance followed by Death". Gram Parsons is in this category too. So is Jim Morrison, so is Chet Baker. we'll get to those guys later. These four do have a self destructive quality in common and, as we all know, from pain comes great art. 
Cheap Thrills is a staggeringly good selection of songs. Gershwin's "Summertime" was never sung better (in my opinion). "A Piece Of My Heart" after thousands of listens, still brings me to me knees. "Ball and Chain" will do a broken heart good. I throw this record on whenever I'm aching (like today for instance) and it validates me. This record is essential for the new collector and worth digging out for the seasoned collector. Cover art by Robert Crumb. Does it get any better than that? This LP is easy to find in used record stores or online.
 ALSO: Check out my music reviews on caughtinthecarousel.com. This month I'm reviewing the new RAY LA MONTAGNE.

No comments: